Sunday, February 17, 2008

Not Quite What I Was Saying

I keep stumbling across reviews of a newly published book called Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure.

Some examples:

Nora Ephron: Secret of life: marry an Italian

Dave Eggers: Fifteen years since last professional haircut

Joyce Carol Oates: Revenge is living well, without you

Joan Rivers: Liars, hysterectomy didn't improve sex life!



How would I sum up my life in six words? Read on:


Came, saw, laughed, loved, understood, went (my first attempt)

Object is not closer than appears (how existential!)

Tell all your single friends: believe (multiple options here, really)

Everyone died before I was ready (not too cheery, but bang on the money)

Kissed many, loved few, married none (well, not recently anyway)

Stopped thinking what if and lived (you go Smitten! no seriously -- MOVE!)

Wanted: man not threatened by dog (that could/would/should change to Found: )


So, all you creative people (and those who stop by here occasionally), what are YOUR six word memoirs?


Tell all your single friends, brevity counts!



XO, JamieSmitten

6 comments:

Rebecca Hickman said...

I want to stay forty forever.

wombat said...

i LOVE "stopped thinking what if and lived." very harry potter. in a good way.

today, i'd go with:
found, lost, floundering, listening, and hopeful

Anonymous said...

Late bloomer finally flowers, quickly wilts.

JamieSmitten said...

40 Forever: Too true!!

Wombat: I think you can do better, although you do eloquently capture current state!!

Manda: LOVE IT!

Valerie said...

The most memoir-ish (but the most boring, what does this say about me?):
Identify the pattern, breathe, dance, repeat

Childhood:
Red shoes pretty, thunk, wall hard

The college years:
Remember your audience or go home

Current:
It's not lying, it's an improvisation

ahamos said...

Ok, so it's not 6 words, but your post immediately reminded me of my favorite quote: "Monkey make you crazy."

It came from a book of badly translated English called Free Drinks for Ladies with Nuts. The full quote was "Keep window close or monkey make you crazy."

It kind of sums up the experience of having a toddler, though.

Monkey make you crazy.