Friday, December 14, 2007

Your Guess Is As Good As Mine

I do believe I previously stated herein that I would not inflict my poetry on you, the unsuspecting blog public. Yes, I did -- right here. So abandon ship, save yourselves, I've gone and done it. Perhaps a reaction to the soul-deadening effect of working for the Man or to having to explain what 'practicable' and 'deleterious' mean to people who make twice my salary, this just had to come out. I'm not totally satisfied, but self-editing for me is the delete button. So forthwith and forsooth, my offering.


Quite Possible (or maybe My Times)
a poem by J. Smitten



It is quite possible that I will
when all is said and done, be still
outwardly
while raging inside at the sheer
lunacy
of my times



(this is not the times owned by the masses which are lamented
Oh the Times!
whether they be a-changin' or not
no, not those times at all)


MY times which ought be loud
with laughter and loving, yet crowd
silently
forward brimming with the sharp
focus
of the aware


(my times are not delivered to your doorstep
Nor should they be!
for they don't delight or quite frankly show
that I'm even right)


So fair warning to him
listening raptly or not, no whim
resolutely
tilting against the Sisyphean
task
of my times




Tell all your single friends, sometimes you just have to let it all hang out.



XO, JamieSmitten

2 comments:

Crankster said...

Jamie, I'll be honest with you--after years of teaching creative writing, I usually cringe when somebody drags their heroic yawp out onto the coffee table.

But I really enjoyed this one. It was solidly organized, energetic, and playful in its dynamic. I read it a couple of times, and liked it better with each iteration. Thank you for sharing it!

JamieSmitten said...

C-ster: I'm right there cringing with you. I prefer to leave poetry to the experts (Baudelaire, Dickinson, Auden, cummings) mostly. I'm glad you didn't puke. But I need to get over my parallel structure issues.