Monday, September 10, 2007

Some Little Known Facts About JamieSmitten

I think I'm pretty open and easy to read, albeit a tad quirky and unpredictable. Basically, I don't keep a lot of secrets about me. Now about other people, I've got secrets a plenty. But about me, not so much. So here are a few little known facts, just to be sure my self image of openness is correct.


  • I can't read the open/close door symbols in elevators. I never use those buttons unless they have the actual word. Believe me, I've tried to work on this one. Are the triangles supposed to be like ears that you pull apart? Or are the triangles pressing their hypotenuses together to symbolize closure? It just seems like too much to memorize at this stage of life.

  • I have 29 boxes of tea in my kitchen cupboard. 4 were gifts, 11 are non-caffeinated. My favorites are Harney & Sons Paris, Numi Monkey King Jasmine Green Tea, and Twinings Black Currant. I have spent more than $10 for a box of tea and thought it money well spent. It is probably a 12-step-worthy addiction, but it is legal. Lucky me!

  • I have written 2 complete poems. One when I was in high school and one last year. They will never be published here, but I am proud of them. Complete is to differentiate from the lyric fragments I compose regularly. They all sound very country tragic, which is odd, because that's not me. Not likely to be published here, but only because I forget them before I get to a pen.

  • I usually read 2 or 3 books at the same time. I just like variety, so there is a stack by the bed with bookmarks scattered throughout to ensure I have something that suits my mood for my bedtime read. Of course, some books can't be interrupted. Recent reads in that category: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.

  • I have a scar on my left index finger from opening a bottle of salad dressing with a knife. Yep, I'm that coordinated. It is actually a pretty neat scar considering we didn't have any bandages handy so it was closed with duct tape overnight. MLA (My Last Alcoholic) was quite handy in an emergency. Sadly, I was working in Las Vegas at the time and you don't want to know how hard it is to shuffle 6 decks of cards with a finger immobilized. On the plus side, I got lots more tokes (tips) for a few shifts because all the players felt sorry for the dealer with the sore finger. They should have felt sorry for me for living with MLA, but that's another post.

Don't you just feel closer to me already?

Tell all your single friends.

XO, JamieSmitten

1 comment:

ahamos said...

1. The arrows point the way you want the doors to go.

2. Mmm, tea...

3. I wrote a lot of morose teenager poetry in high school. I thought it was great then, and I think I even bragged about some of it for a few years, but after finding a notebook full of it last year, I'm done bragging. Oh lordy, am I ever done...

4. I'm a 1-book kind of guy.

5. I have a scar on the palm of my right hand from a vending machine in high school. It wouldn't give me my food, so I lunged at it, trying to upset it and shake my food free. Instead, my palm struck the sharp edge of the chrome around the glass. I bled like a stuck pig, and I never got my food.

Lovin' your blog!