Thursday, November 09, 2006

Disappointment and a Plan for Action

I should be happy with the results of the election. Barring a recount overseen by officials from Florida, my candidate wins. Some politicians with no redeeming qualities are leaving (you know who you are, Rumsfeld). But I'm still shocked and appalled that Ballot Question #1 was approved by 57% of Virginia voters.

Who ARE these voters that think marriage is such an unassailable institution that anybody who doesn't meet the requirements should get screwed in the rights department? I certainly don't know them personally. My precinct voted 81.4% against the amendment. So I did a little research and I have a plan.

The majority of counties which overwhelmingly favored this amendment are located in the southwestern part of the state and I feel like naming names:

Percentage in favor of denying rights to others:

Buchanan County 89%
Lee County 87%
Scott County 87%
Dickenson County 85%
Russell County 85%
Tazewell County 85%
Wise County 84%
Smyth County 82%
Bland County 80%

So here is my plan: we offer these counties for sale to Kentucky or West Virginia. Revenue from the sale can go to the state budget and more importantly, Virginia can become the state that I'm proud to call home. In the meantime, don't expect any tourist dollars from me. Buchanan County -- you are particularly dead to me.

Final Note to all Voters (until next November): There may never be a candidate that you love and support wholeheartedly. Declaring that you aren't voting because it would be deciding between the lesser of two evils is a cop out. LEARN what the party platforms are. Vote YOUR conscience, not what your spouse or co-workers or poll place lobbyists tell you to do. You'll be glad you did. Plus, you earn the right to rant on your blog.

3 comments:

Crankster said...

Nicely put on all counts. Of course, I'm from Montgomery county, which voted for Ballot Question 1.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm being held hostage by Southwest Virginia.

Anonymous said...

be glad you're not living in texas. i'm pretty sure EVERY SINGLE PERSON AND BOND ISSUE I VOTED FOR LOST. at least you have tiny pockets of sanity. i have a one acre plot of sanity.

JamieSmitten said...

I wondered, Crankster, if you were surrounded by the unthinking masses. But like Wombat said -- it is worse in Texas!