Monday, November 26, 2007

A Case of "that annoying song that loops endlessly on the slowest ride at Disney World"*

*I'd say the title, but then the damn song would be stuck in my head for days. You'll get it, if you haven't already.



It turns out that my manager's wife and I graduated from high school together. I vaguely remember her after looking at the senior yearbook. Lest you think I'm incredibly forgetful, there were over 500 graduates in that class -- and I definitely didn't know everyone. Also, lest you think I didn't own tweezers, Brooke Shields-style eyebrows were quite acceptable at that time.

But it is strange that we didn't figure this out before, as my manager and I spend about 50% of the work week together and have talked about teen years, etc. Even stranger -- we both attended the reunion held 3 years ago. We didn't work together then, but we were both there.

Which got me to thinking. How many places have I been at the same time as a future acquaintance? If I had zigged instead of zagged, would I have met that person then and not later? Was I standing behind my manager when we picked up nametags?

I know what you are thinking -- the whole "butterfly flaps its wings and causes a chain of events leading to a tsunami on the other side of the world" -- this isn't a new thought. But it does make me feel incredibly pressured to memorize faces when I'm out and about. So maybe when I do meet someone in the future, the déjà vu feeling will be quickly explained away.

Serendipity. Fate. Coincidence. I'll take them all.

Tell All Your Single Friends, it's a world of laughter - HA! Now you have to hum it too!



XO, JamieSmitten

5 comments:

lisa said...

i refuse to succumb to your earworm!!

however, i have to agree on the oakton zig/zag phenomenon, as evidenced by running into woody at the mcdonalds at the omni in atlanta. sure we were both there to see the ramones, but he was a high school student from virginia! not to mention the running into skot in the lobby at the fox for the hoodoo gurus show. atlanta must've been one gigantic oakton magnet.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture. You look so serious.

I try not to contemplate the whole "What if I'd..." question too much in my life. Otherwise I can seriously freak myself out. My life as I know it can be traced back to a decision I made when I was 12: whether to take German or Latin in the seventh grade.

ahamos said...

I bought movie tickets and popcorn from Amanda for years before I ever met her. And I didn't connect the dots when I did.

JamieSmitten said...

Wombat: That was definitely a zig/zag with Woody!

Manda: See? I picked Latin! That's where it all went downhill..

AHAmos: That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!

Crankster said...

I'm having a hard time with a little song that they played on one of the extras for Ratatouille. I have no room for your small world earwig!