Sunday, August 24, 2008

Random End of Week Thoughts

  • My faith in personalized license plates was restored this morning when I saw an old 280Z painted orange sporting: GENRL Z

  • Some recent gems from the profiles on that horrible dating site which is supposedly matching me on innumerable compatibility points:
  • How do you spend your leisure time? On the golf coarse
  • The Things Chris can't live without are:
  • Swordplay
  • Books
  • Privacy
  • Chocolate
  • Physical Intimacy
  • I don't know about you, but I have a hard time picturing my soul mate ENGAGING in swordplay, let along listing it as his top thrill.

  • I watched Charlie Wilson's War this week and found it quite enjoyable. Nothing like getting your history lesson with Tom Hanks in the leading role. I'd watch him floss because he is that likable.

  • I also rented The Three Lives of Thomasina -- an ancient Disney movie that I remember watching on tv as a kid. What I forgot was how sadistic Walt was. Holy crap, animals were dying left and right! It was kind of horrifying and not at all the happy cat movie that I remembered. Good thing I watched it before buying it for my niece.

  • Bootcamp is going well. I lured a former neighbor to a free class this week, but I don't think she is ready to commit full time. Meanwhile, Bootcamp leader is contemplating adding a third day each week. Now that I have the THIRD alarm set on stun, I'm making it to class at 5:30 without issues. So BRING IT ON, KYA!

  • I read My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler in about 4 hours. The true tall tales of her dating life were very funny with a side of David Sedaris insight into dysfunctional family dynamics. It was a nice change after reading some chick lit novels that falsely promise true love around every corner. I'll stick with the messy, skid mark on the underwear version of life, thank you.

  • The Olympics weren't as boring as I expected. I saw some great dives (somebody please tell me, who decided a mandatory dive starts with a handstand on a diving board a million miles above the pool? That is INSANE), some exciting volleyball (where are these volleyball men hanging out in the off season? Those are some seriously tall and cute young men on the Brazilian team), and lots of swimming (were the interviews with Mama Phelps longer than her son's races?). Done for two.

  • I saw Pineapple Express at a half-full matinee on Saturday. I was a little disappointed at the low stoner percentage in the theatre, but perhaps the 1:50 show isn't the optimal time. In a word: Hysterical. Yes, all those reviews about the comedy turning into a violence fest were accurate, but killing somebody with a Daewoo doesn't exactly indicate you have left funnytown. Crude, rude, cringe-inducing at times, but total escapist entertainment.

Tell all your single friends, what if Smitten tells HER one-night stand stories?

XO, JamieSmitten

3 comments:

wombat said...

can they PUBLISH books that long?? :)

i'm with you on the volleyball players. the americans were en fuego, also. i think they all play professionally. in europe. where they don't have the nhl.

March2theSea said...

i think you are correct on Mike Phelps mom..those had to be longer than 1:07:01:001 seconds for sure.

That disney film doesn't sound familiar...at all.

being married might be hard..but I am glad I am not dating..sheesh..swordplay??!

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing you've got that sword/knife store right up the street. He'll practically be moving in with you once he hears that. Reel in that winner!