Monday, August 11, 2008

What Have I Been Up To?

11 days and no posts. What's up with that?

I thought about posting. There is an amusing half-written post about songs I heard during the morning commute. There are notes on the nine dollar beer I absentmindedly bought and then consumed ceremonially. Heck, there was even an insight or two. All gone. Mind like a sieve.

I've determined that my creativity (substitute "brain" if you like) is completely transient. I think of the most clever thoughts ever (I digress, but that would be an awesome title for my posthumous publication) and then promptly forget them because I'm driving, showering, pretending to work, exercising like a middle-aged maniac, etc.

I suppose I could start keeping a pen and notebook handy, but that just leads to cryptic notes that make no sense whatsoever when I find them days after the inspiration.

I do know that the next time I visit my mum, I'll leave a few notes behind. Then, many years from now, she'll send them to me in an envelope with a post-it that says, "remember these?"

I won't remember at first. But then it will come back to me: I used to write.

Composed circa 1989:

/Muse-Less/ (w/apologies to those who are inspired)

When I am silly I try to be very silly.
When I am pretentious I try not to be.
When I am happy I try to sustain it.
When I am sad I try not to be.
When I am serious I try to be very serious.
When I am poetic I try not to be.
(I do have a reputation to save)
Me

I am older than I ever planned to be
I suspect it will only get worse.


Thanks, Mum, for cleaning out some boxes and reminding me that writing anything and everything is who I used to be. I'm going to try and be that girl again.

Tell all your single friends, catch it quick!



XO, JamieSmitten

No comments: