Saturday, October 27, 2007

Halloweens Past

I passed Wonder Woman on the street today and realized that Halloween is indeed upon us. I haven't been thinking about it much as I'm leaving on vacation that day and nobody is having a party this year.

My opinion on Halloween varies with the year. Sometimes it is completely fun and other times it just seems like I'm providing candy crack to the neighborhood. Thanks to a lovely card from Val and Aimless, I'm feeling it this year. So since I won't be dressing up this year, I dug up a few pictures from Halloweens past.



I'm the cute bunny on the right. Actually, I look like an escapee from a lab that PETA will shortly be raiding. What's up with my crumpled ears? And this was BEFORE we went trick or treating. Can you imagine how bedraggled I looked after slogging my plastic pumpkin up and down the streets? I don't think this was the year my sister "lost" me around the corner from the house, but then again, I've blocked out most of that memory.

There were many other costumes throughout childhood: gypsy, scarecrow, TV (don't ask), gypsy (the 70s were a good time to raid your mum's wardrobe for hoop earrings). No photos in my collection, but I'm sure they were taken.

I returned to the bunny theme for a Halloween party my senior year of high school. Mike's family had a huge piece of land in the middle of Fairfax and they threw a fabulous Halloween party complete with a hayride around the backyard. Younger brothers would jump out and scare the pants off you as the wagon lurched around in the dark. I was just glad to make it to the party as I had locked my keys in the car when I stopped for gas. This was back in the days when the gas station attendant would run your gas card on a little machine and then hand you the carbon to sign. I ran inside to pay and automatically locked the door. With the car running. Whilst wearing a leotard and bunny ears. (I had matured into an "adult" bunny look). Once the mechanics finished laughing, they quickly popped the door lock and had me back on the road. Again, no pictures in my possession.


I learned another valuable lesson that night: don't make out with a boy when you are wearing a black make-up bunny nose. Let's just say, it was hard to explain how my nose ended up all over his face. To his girlfriend.


Next picture I found was from a university Halloween party my freshman year. Three blind mice was our choice and we were quite blind with drink by the end of the night. Note the yarn tails and socks on our hands. (Yes, I'm tragic when it comes to special effects. For real Halloween makeup magic, visit Manda.) I remember ditching the socks quickly as it made beer holding difficult. I'm on the left, in case you were confused.


I remember other Halloween parties at university, but no pictures survived. The next picture I found was from 1997 give or take a year. My theme was Dominatrix, although if truth be told, I just felt like being a little saucy that year. It was during the blonde years and I was still testing out that "more fun" theory. Sadly, I ended up babysitting a roommate on ecstasy and didn't really get to give that costume the night it deserved. Plus, it turned out to be very difficult to drive with my hair standing 10 inches up from my head. If you look closely, you can see my Caesar standing behind me.



The following year, Wombat came to town and much more fun was had. I decided to balance the naughty of the previous year with a little nice. Clearly, catholic school girl was the only choice. Interestingly, I got way more attention in this costume. (Scott -- I've still got the kilt. I'm just saying.) Wombat was wearing a wig, so I don't think she'll kill me for posting her picture.



Clearly, I take a lot of pictures in the foyer. Must expand my repertoire.


Tell all your single friends, don't forget to take a picture this Halloween!!


XO, JamieSmitten

4 comments:

wombat said...

oh, i won't KILL you. but revenge shall be sweet.

Crankster said...

The dominatrix costume is great, but my heart belongs to the Catholic schoolgirl.

Years and years of parochial school education have left their mark.

jjtv said...

Isn't that the bunny suit from "A Christmas Story?"

JamieSmitten said...

Wombat:
Bring it on. I've got pictures from graduation in OC!

Crankster:
You can take the boy out of Fairfax, but the Catholic is harder to eradicate!

JoeyJTV:
I totally missed that -- but you are right -- I'm Ralphie!!