Friday, October 26, 2007

Someone's Always Someone Else's One*

*from The One by the Foo Fighters


I did it. I finally finished my Shuffleathon 2007 mixtape cd. Oh the agony. Oh the futility of trying to narrow down my favorite songs into something coherent, meaningful, and enjoyable, for a total stranger.


All I know about my unsuspecting Recipient is that she is an Australian now living in the UK.


So clearly, she doesn't need my favorite Hoodoo Guru/Jet/Clash/Fratellis songs. She's got those angles covered. Fine -- American music.


Brief foray into -- North American? Throw in some north of the border Hot Hot Heat?


No, let's not get distracted. We have a country of origin. Check.


Now, how about a theme..... Love? Makes the world go 'round. Can I find a song from each of my favorite artists that deals with that weighty subject? Probably, but is it the best song I could pick? What if my selection forever sours Recipient on my all time favorite band ever, Cracker? TOO MUCH PRESSURE.


So, I'll just pick my favorite song from my favorite American artists. Sure, that narrows it down. To about a zillion songs.


Must dig deeper....


I've got it! American bands that I have seen in concert! That narrows it down some more and suddenly, I'm able to make some decisions.


So, my Shuffleathon CD will go to the post office on Saturday containing 15 songs (barring tomorrow's final review) from bands I've seen in concert (except for Rancid, but I did see Tim Armstrong with the Transplants, so I'm calling that a wash) that sort of deal with love (unless there was a better song) and make me happy.


I'll post the link to recipient's review when available. Hopefully, she's happy to be my one.


Tell all your single friends, the mixtape lives on!



XO, JamieSmitten

4 comments:

wombat said...

aw, i learned to edit tape on a tape deck very similar to the one you have pictures!!! yes, with a razor blade, before the glory of digital.

and i too have finished my shuffleathon cd. whew!!

March2theSea said...

what is the full track listing??!

JamieSmitten said...

Wombat:
CD went to post office today -- along with a copy to you!!

March2tC:
I'm going to wait until it is received by Recipient before posting the listing -- just in case she stumbles through here looking for clues. I had instant remorse the minute I put it in the mail. Definitely interested in what you think -- so check back in a week or so.

swisslet said...

it seems that your cd is receiving the careful and attentive listening it definitely deserves. Hen won't tell me what's on it, and even her husband isn't allowed to see the tracklisting yet... but a review is apparently on the way.

I love mix tapes, and I always have. I hear some songs from a certain era, and I can remember the tape I had them on.

Ah.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be, eh?

ST