Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Grammy Said So

I spent a lot of time with my grandmother: every summer until I was 17, various holidays, and four years of university. When she died, I was completely bereft. But as with all wounds, time lessens the ache and you can remember without sadness.

Grammy had a way with words and I often find myself repeating some of her more memorable witticisms. Enjoy.


* * * * *

When I started university, Grammy carefully prepared me lunch every day. I was quite the talk of the room when I unwrapped an egg salad sandwich with a parsley garnish. People thought I stole food from a cafeteria. After a few days, I mentioned to Grammy that she could maybe lay off the parsley and she replied, "You should eat your parsley, you'll bleed less during childbirth." Childbirth being the last thing on my mind at the time, I respectfully stuck to my guns and the parsley garnish disappeared. The irony? Now I eat parsley every chance I get. Are you going to eat your parsley? Yep, you'll hear me say it if you don't chomp on it first.


* * * * *

Grammy made a roast beef dinner with all the trimmings every Sunday. Even after her children grew up and moved out, some or all would come back for Sunday dinner. Preferences were accommodated; a little dish of squash was produced for the daughter in law who didn't like mashed turnip. Desserts were homemade and not to be missed, so a second serving of beef and all the trimmings was folly. "Just finish this little bit up, it isn't enough to put away." Oh the many times we all heard Grammy say that as a healthy scoop of mashed potatoes and gravy was deposited on your plate. I had one uncle with a hearty appetite who routinely ate the equivalent of 2 + meals so Grammy wouldn't have to dirty some tupperware.


* * * * *

During summers spent at the cottage on Twelve Mile Lake, a trip into town was a big treat. Candy and comics from Stedman's and a walk down main street to see what we could see. One day, Grammy noticed a sign in front of the bakery advertising "Fresh Pie! $4.00!" She came to a dead stop and shook her head in disbelief. As we walked on, Grammy turned to me and said, "If I had four dollars for every pie I'd made, well, we wouldn't be walking down the street, that's for sure." And then we laughed. I imagined us riding in a horse drawn carriage like the queen on parade and I'm sure she was just picturing a new four door sedan. I don't buy a lot of pie, but you know what I'll be saying when I do.


* * * * *

Another phrase I heard regularly from childhood through adulthood was "Don't be saucy!" Grammy was never really mad at me, more concerned that a sharp tongue would get me in trouble. A little honey to catch that fly. I definitely didn't heed the warning and my resume reflects it. But sometimes saucy just feels good. Hearing Grammy in my mind feels even better.



Tell all your single friends, Don't be saucy! (and then giggle)




XO, JamieSmitten

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss my grandmother too. It's been almost a year since she died.

One of my favorite weird, mountain-folksy things she used to tell me was to "Eat onions. They are good for that bad blood you've got (type O-)."

Maybe that's why I love to eat raw onions so much.

Scott from Oregon said...

"I'd rather have the AIDS than the Herpes... 'cause AIDS you don't have fer yer whole life..." Grandma Tubby--

wombat said...

don't kid yourself. you've ALWAYS been saucy!!